Tuesday 29 January 2013

A Little Bathroom Takes Shape

This week I commenced work on the bathroom of the eBay house (which I think now I will start calling the "American House" - because it is looking more and more American for some reason). I have been looking at countless pictures of Victorian bathrooms, and found one I particularly liked:


The temptation of using panelling on the walls instead of difficult tiling was too much. So I convinced myself it was more authentic..


I sanded the edges of each balsa wood plank (which I had cut individually from a few large sheets), so that the individual panelling planks would be more obvious.  


The back wall is not detachable, so I had to cut a cardboard template of it. That way I could work on that rather then straight on the back wall. 



For the floor I made a template out of cardboard. 


For the floor I bought a sheet of paper which had tessellated tiles on it. It isn't quite as realistic as the wooden floors, but it suffices when one is short on time. This method means I can slip it out while I am working, and back in now and then during the process (to see how the room will look). 


I had to cut the sheet down to size. This was a challenge. 


I painted the panelling mustard yellow. 





I am not entirely happy with this colour. Although it matches the floor nicely, it makes the yellow in the hallway look a little bit washed out and faded. So it is back to the drawing board to think of a better colour scheme - be that flat colours or wall paper. 


11 comments:

  1. I love your work! It all looks so real! Looking forward to the next step.
    Love, Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the paneling for the bathroom, have you thought of using the blue/gray color in the floor for the wall, maybe a darker shade on the paneling and a lighter shade above the paneling, I think it will tie in nicely with your bedroom colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was thinking a blue grey, although maybe green too (since the attic room is already blue). Two colours is a good idea. I'm going to go to the paint shop and see what grabs me! Any earthy tones I think will suit.

      Emily

      Delete
  3. Hi Emily, I agree with you that it's a bit too much. I like Elga's idea, but you could also just make it a bit lighter. It could also change the whole look when you paint/paper above the paneling, so I would try that first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions Idske! It is so difficult to choose good colours! I will think about it all week and see how I go..

      Emily

      Delete
  4. Hello Emily,
    I love the wainscot and the inspiration photo. I think the yellow is just a little too bright and makes the room look a little dollhousy rather then realsitic. I love Elga's idea and thinkt hat would work beautifully. Possibly you could try a white wash over the yellow to tone it down?
    I can't wait to see what you decide on.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your progress with this and agree with the others about the yellow. The bluey grey sounds very workable but a lot depends on what you place above the dado rail. The decisions are as tricky in mini as they are in RL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily, You are doing a wonderful job. It is always hard to balance the colours in a miniature house. We have to take into account that we can see the whole house all at once. Look forward to seeing what you decide to,do.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, when making house do we need to add the wood width to room sizes? I have a blue print of what i want to make but unaure on the framing thaks all

    ReplyDelete