Sunday 3 November 2013

Tiny Patisserie in a Big Hurry

Usually I try to make all my miniatures from scratch, so that I can truly say "yes I made that". I like to avoid simply putting a lot of pre-bought items together (though a lot can be said for how fun that is). However, sometimes you have to compromise, like this weekend.

My sister and her partner are opening a Patisserie in Maitland, near Newcastle (outside Sydney) in November, and my mother was travelling there this weekend to help out with the opening. So on Friday mum and I got the bright idea of making my sister a shop opening gift in the form of a miniature patisserie for her shop window.

We had to make it in a great hurry so my mum could take it with her, and so it probably wasn't made the standard I would normally like! We bought all the components and whacked them together in a quickly. Nonetheless it was good fun.


I got a pre-bought shop front, and made a room box around it.


We made a frame for the room box so that a perspex cover can be put in front (to keep little fingers out). 


We put in the wallpaper using real wallpaper paste. Hopefully this time it doesn't bubble! Instead of using real flooring, I just used some printed paper. 




We fixed some shelves in under the windows so that we could put in some window displays. 


Then it was time for the fun part - filling the shop with pastries and cakes!







Im yet to think of a name to paint in, but was thinking of "La Petit Patisserie". 


It should look nice in the patisserie window. Hopefully kids will pester their mums to take them back to see it and get a treat!

15 comments:

  1. A wonderful little shop! How ute and beautiful colours! But having to do all these quickly...o dear!!! I can imagine! :) Good luck also for the real new shop!!! :) Surely the miniature shop will be a wonderful eyecatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I can't believe you did all that in such a short time. Looks wonderful! What a beautiful present it will be. Thank you for sharing.

    All best,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. That goes to show what to talented heads can do in a short time! Why not name it the same as the real one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que idea tan genial, seguro que tu hermana se llevará una inmensa alegria cuando vea la preciosa pastelería mini que le habeis hecho. Felicidades, es un trabajo precioso y suerte para tu hermana y su pareja en su nueva tienda.
    Besitos, que tengais una buena semana.
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it looks fabulous! And to think you did it in a hurry. I love it. I agree with Grandmommy, just name it after the real one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it..even the dog gets cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...though in a hurry it is an EXCELLENT work! What an idea! Your sister is very lucky indeed to have such a treasure in her window display! I wish her every success! Pre-bought kits and items can be very convinient for us that we dont have the suitable equipment, time and skill to make them. After all creativity and the final effect is all that matters in miniature making at the end ( the floor is exquisite you cant really say it is a paper...)Give in 100 people the same kit and items & you will have 100 different versions. You are so talented! Your sister can use it as a heirloom for future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous Emily it is hard to believe you made it in such a rush, you and your mum make a great team. I must pay Maitland a visit soon and check out the patisserie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks great, but were you breaking the windows with a hammer ??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an appropriate gift and so well made in a short time.....chapeau!!
    I think the recipients will be very happy with this gorgeous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun idea - I think that anything in miniature draws people in to have a closer look! I imagine it will be a great conversation piece for the shop window!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a great present! This is lovely!
    Suzé

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful gift and a great way to introduce miniatures to a wider audience as well! I'm amazed at the speed with which you and your mother made this. Did you make the cakes etc too or did you have them on hand?

    ReplyDelete