Monday 23 December 2013

Hanging and Ageing Tiny Doors - A Tutorial

Preparing and hanging doors is a tricky business. To get a real aged look you have to create wear and tear.

Lightly sand the surface and then smudge it very lightly with grey chalk pastel. Be sure to smudge only where ordinary wear and tear would be, such as around the door handle. 



To add more realism I made a faux door catch by cutting an indent on one door (above) and gluing a small brass square on the other (below).



I hung the door using hinges rather than using a pin (which is easier).


This required carefully cutting in where the hinges will go.


I superglued the hinges on, and then drilled little holes for the nails. This makes it much easier than trying to nail it when it is not fixed in place. Also, be sure to drill the holes and glue in the nails rather than nailing them in with a hammer. If you nail them in the chances are the delicate wood of your door will split. 


It is important to ensure your hinges are perfectly lined up and horizontal, otherwise the door will not open or the hinges will break when you open it.


The result is pleasing.





20 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial, it is very helpful! Mini hugs, Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very realistic! I especially like the details of the lock catch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. I think just a little wear adds to the realism of a scene.

    Have a great Christmas and New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for this great tutorial!
    I always have Problems with doors....

    Merry Christmas from Vienna
    Hugs Lina

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how tiny details like the catch add to the realism. Great doors, looks appropriately grand for the room. Lovely tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect realism.

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just spent a lovely half hour looking at a lot of your posts. Your work is wonderful! I'm not sure why I have missed so many of your posts, since I am a follower...Anyway, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I think the hinges make it look more realistic. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The doors look fantastic Emily, well done and Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emily! Your doors look wonderful and the effect of the wear around the lock and the handles is beautifully done! Look Perfectly Imperfect!
    Have a Wonderful Christmas and New Years too!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work as always...This Project is amazing! Merry Christmas Emily!
    P.S. Did you receive my package? How the stove is progressing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas. I follow your blog and would like you to have a look at my new post on http://scowie1.wordpress.com/ Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, you have a lovely blog, thanks for following me. Glad you enjoy my projects, yours have been exciting too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for dropping by my new blog. I am just starting out and appreciate your kind comments. I wish you a Happy New Year. I send my best wishes to you and your family x http://scowie1.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  13. Muchas gracias por compartir, queda perfecto con el toque de desgaste.
    Feliz año nuevo!!
    Besos
    isabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once again, I bow to your expertise in realistic detailing...and I thought I was so clever for using a tiny awl to ensure that I'd be able to actually peek through the keyholes in my little doors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Emily,
    you have a wonderful blog. May I show one of your pictures with a link to your blog on my blog: http://andrea-thieck-miniatures.blogspot.de ? I have no twitter account - so this is the only way I found for the contact...
    Have a wonderful 2014
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Emily! First of all my best wishes for 2014! I've probably missed this blogpost, I am sorry. Thank you for showing how you do the hinges! Love those doors :D!!
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete