This weekend I started working on the kakelugn, or tiled stove for the dinning room of my Swedish dollhouse. I wanted it to sit in the corner and look something like this:
I started with a piece of old floorboard I found in the shed, it was about 3cm thick. I cut it to a rectangle and also chamfered the edges to get the correct shape.
I cut the piece in half and trimmed the back off the longer piece so it would be set back from the bottom piece when I glued them together.
I glued them together using a basewood backing (which allowed me to pack out the bottom piece just a smidge more.
Kakelugn stoves were tiled, so I cut out about 50 "tiles" from which card in order to give the effect.
I glued the tiles on and also edged the corner and base of the bottom piece with pre-milled timber trim.
These stoves also sat on little legs, so I rummaged through my off-cuts/scrap box and found these balustrading pieces I had kept when I shortened some for the American house. The little end bits were perfect legs.
For the first coat of paint I used spray paint. I did this because if I had used a water based paint it would have damaged the card tiles.
I fashioned the top, but left it plain without any embellishment This was partly because I haven't yet quite worked out how to do a bit of a fleur de lis. I used a cornice piece upside-down to do this.
I like how it fits in the room.
Now all that is left is to make the door and other brass parts, paint the flower design on it and spay it with a clear gloss spray paint (to get the effect of shiny tiles).