Since I have had a week off after Christmas, renovations have continued in earnest. They are coming along quite well, and I almost managed to finish the house (the attic still remains bare unfortunately).
At the beginning of the week I discovered a picture of a house in the US which is very similar to the eBay house. I was very excited to discover this image. I am thinking of improving the exterior to look more like this house.
The interior is basically a blank slate after I ripped out the old wall and floor furnishings.
I began by using a new tool my Mother had bought to cut a stair well and doorways in the thick MDF. This was quite a task due to the strange angles.
But I got there, and was pleased with the result immediately.
Next I began work on the staircase.
I wanted to make it very simple at first, but then got carried away in the joy of mini staircase building - and it turned out a little more ornate then I planned.
Getting the angle of the bannister correct was very difficult!
I then felt that paneling was appropriate to complete the look.
I then made the paneling for the rest of the same room. I made it from thin strips of balsa wood and other pieces of pre cut pine moldings.
A victorian fire place completed to room. I made it from several lengths of pre-cut moldings and cut one of the spare bannister posts in two halves and glued them on, instead of corbels. I used a Phoenix soft metal fire place insert - I think they are the most realistic to be bought.
Next the painstaking task of choosing just the right wall paper. It took me two days to decide!
The dining room (below).
Next will come the attic, which I have resolved to divide into two rooms and make one a bathroom and one a maid's room. Stay tuned!